Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Nuerosis and burning love

Since opening The Church of Vintage, brick and mortar style I have gotten one or two people making comments towards the prices,like "You're a bit pricey". So to those people who have a problem with my prices, YOU DON'T GET IT!! You are not my people, you are probably one of those fair weather vintage types, who disposes of things with the coming of the new trend/season. I don't sell disposable fashion, the opposite in fact. And I might have things that are I guess you can call it "pricey", but that is because I tend to price the things I love high, because if someone is willing to pay that price then I can agree to let it go, because I know it found a home where it will be loved and treasured and least likely to be thrown out. And that is the thing, I want these items to be around for the next generation to appreciate. First and foremost I am a collector/buyer, I don't want to sell anything..... so why have a store right?? Well because it is a sickness that needs to be fed, and so I sell to buy more and I guess every now and again pay a bill or two.

My business practices may be unorthodox, like I don't have set business hours,I like the idea of being Shrangri La, you never know when I'll pop up AND I like playing hard to get, I'm not selling loose vintage here. I have learned ignoring business 101 is the best thing I have done for my business.

So beyond the store, look what I got for the house part:



Isn't it beautiful?! Found it on Ebay, as well as the photo(that's not my floor!), we got it last week, and the best part it was FREE!!

How you ask, well we found it locally and when we went to pick it up the guy had loads of old stuff, one thing being a pedal car, well Michael(babies' daddy) mentioned how he had just restored one at his work(body shop) so the guy asked for an estimate and traded the stove for his pedal car to be restored....Aw yeah, I love bartering. And now for the first time since moving in we are able to cook, we made pancakes and tater tots the first day just because we could, things that just don't turn out right in a microwave.

2 comments:

  1. see, now on the flip side of this. I am a vintage obsessor, and I love it, I wear it daily.

    and I HATE over priced vintage. it makes me so sad to go to the vintage stores in the city next to me and look at the ridiculous prices.
    I want to own and wear those pieces and love them to death. but I cant afford more than one or two pieces when they are so high.

    adn oh boy.. dont get me started on Ebay vintage.
    I found a great little shop by me. and She has the most reasonable prices, so I buy tons from her. I have my whole wardrobe from her practically. and I wear and love every single piece.

    wow. that came out rude, I hope not. I like this blog and I want to read more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make no apologies!!...I price to sabotage sales, the store is a front so I have an excuse to buy more, not to actually sell, pffft... don't tell the Mister I said that though;)

    In reality the majority of my store inventory is inexpensive but people automatically zoom in on the higher end stuff and make snide remarks, sorry not going to sell my beaded flapper dresses for $20. One girl made a remark and she was head to toe just out of the Old Navy, talking brand new full price, $20 for a knit hat, $40 for a shirt and she thinks I'm pricey because she deems it as secondhand, if was brand new it wouldn't be an issue the cost. I was selling the same style hat but vintage for $8.

    ReplyDelete